There are many substances that have addictive properties. However, these numerous substances have not been tried by most people. Also, people who have tried them, does not really abuse them or get dependent. The reason is due to the differences on people in terms of vulnerability to substance-related disorders matter. There are many theories to actually prove it.
Deficiencies on morality was seen as the reason as to why people get addicted to drugs and alcohol.. Drug and alcohol addicts were simply perceived as weak, bad people who would not exert control over their impulses. In the 1960S, this view has been replaced by the disease model of addiction. The disease model of addiction states that drug and alcohol addiction is an incurable physical disease just like epilepsy or diabetes. This model has been supported fairly by research on the genetics and biology of drug and alcohol addiction, but there clearly are social and psychological forces that make some people more prone to these disorders than are others. There are biological, social, and psychological factors that increase people’s vulnerability to substance abuse and dependence.
When it comes to theories, one of the most prominent in the literature that discusses substance-related disorders is the biological theory. This can be attributed to three reasons. First, there are numerous theorists that attribute the vulnerability to these disorders to genetics. Second, people who become substance dependent or abusive may react differently physiologically to substances than those who become dependent or abusive. Third, some theorists have argued that drug and alcohol addiction really represents an underlying biological depression. These are drug and alcohol facts which can aid us to comprehend how it has rise in our lives and in our society. There are still many drug and alcohol facts to help and warn us against its effects. Let us try to know them one by one.
• Effects of addictive drugs can never be calculated.
• Drug addiction can lead to death.
• Treatment for drug addiction can be a tedious and gruesome process.
• The production and selling of drugs are illegal in most countries.
• Every year, there is an increase of health problems that are alcohol related.
• There are differences in drug tolerance.
• The major effects of alcohol are bad on most aspects.
• Alcohol serves as a depressant to the body.
• Alcohol has short term effects.
• An individual can be greatly affected even just for a small amount of alcohol.
• Alcohol should never be consumed with medications.
• Alcoholism can be hereditary.
• Alcohol can cause major damage to the brain.
• A person should never drink with an empty stomach.
• Removing alcohol from the household can lessen a family member to develop alcoholism.
• Constant alcohol use can have negative effects on the heart.
• A whole lot of money is used in a yearly consumption of alcohol in every country.
• Prolonged alcohol use can cause weight gain.
• Alcohol use has been the major preceding factor of a crime.
• As early as 11 years old, children are said by statistics to have tasted alcohol.
• Deaths due to drunk driving is increasing every year.
Drug and alcohol facts are important so that people can know how to deal with drugs and alcohol.